Wednesday 1 July 2009

Co-emerging I and non-I




I was doing this simple video edit after we have been discussing the concept of 'Otherness' with Kenzo. On that day, in the studio, we were not working with any particular texts. Instead, we were trying to create our own (here, Kenzo's) bodily 'reading' of what it might mean or feel at all, to be 'of plural'.
We were working with the camera on and thinking of it as of an open book, recording not for the sake of registration but for the sake of creation in the very moment.

What happened was as a short story of felt disintegration within oneself (or so I am able to describe what I saw in Kenzo's performance). The visible mechanization and intractibility of movement took charge...

When editing, I was quite literally thinking of the state of the matrixial, expressed best in Bracha Ettinger's own words:

"Matrix is an unconscious space of simultaneous emergence and fading of the I and the unknown non-I which is neither fused nor rejected. Matrix is based on feminine/prenatal inter-relations and exhibits a shared borderspace in which what I call differentiation-in-co-emergence and distance-in proximity are continuously rehoned and reorganised by metramorphosis (and accompanied by matrixial affects) created by - and further creating - relations-without-relating on the borderspaces of presence and absence, subject and object, me and the stranger. In the unconscious mind, the matrixial borderline dimension, involved in the process of creating feminine desire and meaning, both coexists and alternates with the phallic dimension."

citation from: Bracha Lichtenberg Ettinger, "Metramorphic Borderlinks and Matrixial Borderspace", presented as "Matrixial Borderspace" in Identity and Display, Association of Art Historians 19th Annual Conf., Tate Gallery, London, 2-4 April, 1993; in Rethinking Borders, ed. J. Welchman, Macmillan; cited from manuscript, n. p.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers